Merry Christmas MkII

Discussions regarding the development of Morrowind Crafting 3.0 (Tamriel Rebuilt edition)

Re: Merry Christmas MkII

Postby Toccatta » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:26 pm

By request, I'm also including an early alpha version that has been updated to TR version 15.12 for anyone using the most recently released TR files.

- attachment lost due to server error -
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Toccatta » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:31 pm

And now, due to the recent release of TR v16.08, here is yet another version of the MC 3.0 alpha

MC3 Early Alpha for TR 16.08.zip
(25.58 MiB) Downloaded 165 times

Fliggerty has found and corrected the error which was preventing me from replacing the lost attachment, so once again we have the 16.08 version available for download.
Thanks, Fliggerty!
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby kloppix » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi. This is not necro-posting but ancient post worship, which I hope is tolerated. ;)

Do you have a newer version? I tried to use the Tamriel_Data patcher to make MC3 compatible with Tamriel Rebuilt 16.12. It works, but the lag in cities is unbearable.
kloppix

Postby Drac » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:39 am

kloppix wrote:Hi. This is not necro-posting but ancient post worship, which I hope is tolerated. ;)

Do you have a newer version? I tried to use the Tamriel_Data patcher to make MC3 compatible with Tamriel Rebuilt 16.12. It works, but the lag in cities is unbearable.

Greetings. Unfortunately, while we had worked for some time on Morrowind Crafting 3, we ran into something of a brick wall when they decided to rework much of their previous efforts; MC3 contained 'fixed' versions of a great many NIF files, which the newer Tamriel Rebuilt immediately broke, after a fashion, and other changes broke a great deal more.

At this time, we've no idea how to reconcile with the newer versions of TR, so until/unless we can find some way that does not involve hundreds of hours of redoing work that we've done 2-3 times already, we're on hold.

As to the lag... I've no idea how MC3 could be affecting that; we add a few NPCs here and there, and maybe a couple of stacks of wood or so. Very little in any one city or village.
Drac

Postby kloppix » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 am

Wow, the version 17.09 is out already. I see what you mean.

I don’t think MC3 causes the lag, but using Tamriel_Data patcher on it. Moreover, I’m using OpenMW and not even the last one (0.41). I won’t worry about it ;)

I‘m sorry Drac, but I’m a noob in mod creation. Can’t you just take the required files from TR and include it in MC? (After asking for permission, of course).
kloppix

Postby Toccatta » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Unfortunately, no. The problem is the way the items created by the mod are stored by the mod internally. The construction set changes the very complicated internal numbering system into something more readable for the people making the mod, but those internal numbers are the source of serious problems.

A simple example: On one side of the map is a small hut with a fireplace and three logs. The logs are statics and unusable. Morrowind Crafting 3 mod deletes those three logs and replaces them with miscellaneous objects that the player can pick up and use. What happens internally is that MC3 mod tells the game engine to delete object #88721518761873518765, #88721518761873518784, and #88721518761873518791 and add object #52914804924780191215, #52914804924780191221, and #52914804924780191225. As long as TR_Mainland.esm is the same as it was when MC3 was made, this works fine.

However, the moment the TR team creates a new version, all the object numbers of EVERYTHING in their mod get recalculated by the construction set and re-written. Unfortunately, now, object #88721518761873518765 is no longer a static log in a crafter's hut in one section of the mainland, but the door to a merchant's shop in some other city, #88721518761873518784 is a bookshelf in his shop, and #88721518761873518791 is a section of floor/wall/ceiling in one if his storerooms.

When you load MC3 with the new version of TR_Mainland.esm, it will still try to carry out those same instructions, except instead of deleting a static version of three logs and replacing them with ones the player can pick up, it deletes three completely unrelated items elsewhere in the game. Now, if you go into the crafter's hut, you can't pick up the logs because the statics are still there interfering with the process (they have new numbers since the TR team rebuilt TR_Mainland.esm) and if you enter the merchant's shop, you'll find some of his wares floating where the bookshelf used to be, there is a black void leading into empty space where one of his walls used to be, and you can no longer leave, since the inside door is gone!

Of course, all those numbers and objects are hypothetical, but hopefully it illustrates the type of problem we're dealing with. It isn't as simple as just including files from TR so that everything still works. It means having to repair the MC3 mod every time anything in TR_mainland changes, no matter how big or small that change might be... and the TR team's changing all the internal reference IDs for the sake of consistency with a couple of other mainland projects just adds another layer of complexity to an already frustrating situation.

No, unfortunately this isn't something that can be so easily resolved. I wish it were.
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby kloppix » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Thank you for your extensive response, Tocatta. It was very informative. I hope OpenMW can help to solve issues like this in the future. Mark and Recall to Vvanrdenfell until then.
kloppix

Previous

Return to MC Development