An Update on Morrowind Crafting 3.0

Discussions regarding the development of Morrowind Crafting 3.0 (Tamriel Rebuilt edition)

Re: An Update on Morrowind Crafting 3.0

Postby Toccatta » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 am

Ran into a rather ugly snag when testing MC3.0 using the newly released Sacred East 1.6 (development work was done using Sacred East 1.5)

The problem is technical and involves the way the game engine uses internal references to identify reference items, and stores those values in the .esm file (which by intent, was supposed to be a finished product and not subject to change). However, TR uses a master file, but is a work-in-progress... so those internal values are changing with each revision, and any mod that uses a global search and replace - which MC uses heavily - will be broken every time the master file is edited and all the internal reference values are recalculated.

The worst part of the problem is that when an object from a master file is replaced, the old copy is deleted and a new copy is added. When the internal references change, the mod can no longer find the original object to delete, BUT it still is able to place the new copy. This leads to doubling, and a global search and replace is no longer able to resolve the situation. Since there isn't a global delete, and deleting the master object WILL delete all the references in the game world, but it comes with it's own set of problems, the restored old objects have to be located and deleted by hand, one-by-one.

Needless to say this is an extremely long and tedious process which, unfortunately, will need to be repeated every time a new revision of the TR master file comes out. I'm not looking forward to that. In fact, I'm putting the project temporarily on hold until an acceptable solution can be found.

[edit] worse news: I was wrong about the game engine not being able to find the original object to delete. The internal references don't seem to be tied to any object ID at all, so when it decides to delete something, it deletes it by number and not by ID... so the correct number of objects are being deleted, but it's a crap-shoot as to which objects it actually deletes! This is becoming a nightmare, and being unable to know in advance what items are going to be deleted is something of a game-breaker. We've put out some requests for info, but unless a solution is found, I'm at a complete impasse.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Drakkmore » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:24 am

:o That's terrible news!!!! :shock:
I have been awaiting this patiently since you announced it.
I will continue to wait, but I was hoping that it would be a smoother process for you guys.
At any rate I hope you guys can get around the issue, and you can finish the mod.
Drakkmore

Postby Denina » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Well, shit! I was so afraid something could get severely messed up with TR's major updates. My only real surprise is that it didn't happen sooner. If you were to wait for TR to be "done" you would probably have to wait several more years. Though now that I think about it, doesn't Enchanted Editor have a feature that recalculates refs? I believe I've used it before, maybe that might help? I'm not sure, of course, since I admit I don't really understand a lot of the technicalities of the CS but just thought I'd throw that out there as it might point you in the right direction, if nothing else.

I really hope none of your hard work will go to waste. I know this hasn't been an easy project. Keep us updated.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Postby Toccatta » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:41 am

With Abot's generous help, the WIP is now updated to Sacred East 1.6, and I have a set of instructions to allow it to be updated any time the TR team puts out another revision. MC3.0 is back on track.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Drakkmore » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:14 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Drakkmore

Postby Drac » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:08 am

Testing to see if this still works... and show a bit for the ongoing MC 3.0 development.
Attachments
MGE Screenshot 1.jpg
Sample test for MC 3.0
Drac

Postby Drac » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:21 am

The underside of the divider-rooms in the previous...
Attachments
MGE Screenshot 2.jpg
Drac

Postby Drac » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:41 pm

A quick view of MC 3.0's recycling screen.
Attachments
Morrowind 2019-08-18 15.34.34.679.png
Drac

Postby Drac » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 am

Another, this time of the smithing screen.
Attachments
Morrowind 2019-08-20 00.19.27.002.png
Drac

Previous

Return to MC Development