Food Recipes

Discussions regarding the development of Morrowind Crafting 3.0 (Tamriel Rebuilt edition)

Food Recipes

Postby Denina » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:58 pm

I always wished there was more that I could do with the already existing food once cooked so some of my recipes will reflect that. Here are just a few, I will add more as I get to it until you tell me enough already. You can figure out the trivials but some I think would naturally have low ones.

Trivial task: Bread knife (possibly crafted) - sliced bread. Perhaps 1 loaf of bread could make 12 slices for 6 sandwiches, just an idea if you want to take it that far.

Various sandwich ideas, figure these could have chokeweed or roobrush or some lettuce-y or meat, all should probably have low trivials:

Fried kwama egg. Use boiled kwama egg.
Nix hound: used cooked nix hound meat
Rat sandwich: cooked rat
Veggie: Roobrush, marshmerrow, red lichen, chokeweed.
Could do these with any meats really.

One of my favorite imagined meals to have for "dinner" in Morrowind is to pretend my character is having steamed crab meat, steamed marshmerrow and lightly grilled bread with kanet butter.

So, steamed marshmerrow: 2-4 sprigs of marshmerrow and kanet butter in the saucepan.
Grilled bread: Kanet butter, bread slices, skillet.

I have more but I've had a long day so I will post more later.

Fish and chips - one of the cooked fish with some roasted potatoes.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Re: Food Recipes

Postby Denina » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 pm

I've been playing a new character since last night and she's already "come to life" for me. Just a few minutes ago, she and I were "talking" and I found out that she thinks the best thing about Morrowind is...wait for it...kanet butter. She wants to put it on practically everything. She's also addicted to seafood. She's eaten steamed mudcrab 2 days in a row now. Apparently, it beats prison food.

So, "she" and I have come up with these:

Marshmerrow in Kanet Butter Sauce:

6 marshmerrow
2 kanet butter
1 onion
small wooden bowl

Sauteed Slaughterfish:

1 slaughterfish filet
2 kanet butter
1 chokeweed
1 onion
1 garlic

Crab pie:
4 crab meat
3 kanet butter
3 chokeweed
1 onion
2 wheat flour

Another idea:
1 small kwama egg could make 2 egg wash
1 large kwama egg could make 4 egg wash

Combine 1 egg wash, 1 wheat flour with 1 piece of meat or fish and then make all kinds of fried/breaded foods, like Breaded Slaughterfish fried in kanet butter or breaded hound meat . Not sure you want to get that "deep" about it though.

Lots of things you can do with the egg wash though, including a Vvardenfell variation of french toast (not sure what it would be called):

1 egg wash
2 slices of bread
1 (or 2) sugar

Anyway, just a few ideas to toy with if you'd like. If not, no harm, no foul. If I come up with any more, I'll post them unless you post and tell me you've already finished the cooking update.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Postby Toccatta » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Denina wrote:I'll post them unless you post and tell me you've already finished the cooking update.

Nope. Still on the lookout for new recipes for the cooking section. I should be able to work at least some of these in, although I'm not sure how I would depict the egg-wash as an intermediate ingredient. I'll have to think about it, because I really do want more recipes with bread other than just sandwiches... particularly since MC already makes three kinds of bread and TR adds several more (maybe a bread pudding - stuffing?).

But please be careful in using large quantities of ingredients (e.g. Crab pie has 5 ingredients, but requires 13 reagents), otherwise the end result may be either way too expensive or less valuable than the ingredients used to make it. I've already taken a beating about the projects not being valuable enough... Although the variety is nice and will certainly be appreciated, if the cost::profit ratio is too lean, I'll be in for another round of brow-beating from the critics.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Denina » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Sorry, adjust quantities as needed. I was just thinking that with a bowl of marshmerrow, there'd be more than 1 or 2 in a bowl. I didn't even think about the value of the dish. I always thought some of the base prices in the original game for ingredients was too low anyway. To fix that blunder by Bethesda would go way beyond the scope of MC.

For the cold recipes, I was thinking maybe you could use a bowl of some type. In that you could combine salads, do the egg wash if you wanted to implement that (that was just an idea, don't have to do it, of course). Since there are thousands of different bowls all over the game, you could just make one that is unique, slap a script on it to start the cold recipe startup menu (if you wanted to make one) and that could take the scripting pressure off of the cook fire.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Postby Toccatta » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 am

After looking through the stuff added by TR, I found a really nice cutting board that I think would be good for cutting/chopping items that don't need to be heated. You could use it to slice bread for sandwiches or cut lettuce for salads, etc. it would also be good for slicing cooked vegetables (e.g. potatoes & onions for potato salad) I'm not sure how well it fits with things like threshing grain or grinding sausage... but I'm thinking that for most of the non-heated items, it could be a good way to enter the cooking menu without needing a fire.

It definitely makes sense for MOST of the cold menu entries. I'm not sure how to reconcile the rest, or if I should just stick them on the cold menu and pretend they make sense. After all, when making sausage, I presume you would cube up the raw meat and vegetables on a cutting board before you grind them... and although a cutting board doesn't make a whole LOT of sense in threshing grain, it certainly doesn't make less sense than using a fire to do it.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Denina » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 pm

Not sure how easy or practical it would be but maybe you could make a threshing machine that could be kept outside and use it for all grains. Google images had a ton of old-fashioned looking ones and some of them weren't very big so it probably wouldn't be impossible to make. Can set it up as an activator and voila. Of course, it probably sounds easier than the reality.

Also, if that wouldn't work, maybe look up old fashioned grain grinders and maybe use something like that. Here's an example: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X42K1R75L.jpg

The cutting board for the other stuff is perfect! I'm mad that I didn't think of that myself considering how much veggie chopping it would entail. Can you tell I'm not a cook? Hee hee!

Hope this helps.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Postby Toccatta » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Meet the new cold-recipe cutting board:
cutting board.jpg

Suitable for slicing, chopping, mixing, AND grinding.

Technically, threshing really should be one of those tasks like thread spinning which is tedious, but doesn't take any particular skill. The skill is in grinding it into usable flour, so a board with an appropriate grinder should serve the purpose nicely. It's true that a grain mill and a meat grinder work on different principles, but they do look very similar... so I'm just going to say for the sake of game mechanics that the one grinder serves both purposes (grinding wheat, saltrice, meadow rye, AND sausage).

Now that you know that ground meats are going to be possible - keep that in mind if you should be in the mood to think up any new recipes. I still need to add new recipes to make use of the new TR items and to fill out the difficulty curve. Without new (and hopefully some rather difficult) tasks, training at the high end is going to be quite difficult. Even low difficulty stuff is useful, though, as more recipes gives us more flexibility in assigning difficulties. Also, I'm hoping for a few "potion quality" foods (think Lembas from Middle Earth or Diamondraught and Vitrim from Thomas Covenant's "The Land") as well as the ability to brew a few standardized potions. Currently, only Cure Disease, Cure Blight Disease, and Levitation are on my short list. Those are the only ones I can think of which are required in order to solve quests in the game, which (due to the way the alchemy system works) CANNOT normally be created by the player and used for the quest. Only purchased/found/stolen potions will work for quests. I'd like to correct that.
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Drakkmore » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:41 am

NICE Love the grinder on it, reminds me of when I would visit my Grams, She always was grinding up meat.
Now days though it reminds me of when I wanna grind up some meat my self :D (I have her old grinder)
Drakkmore

Postby Toccatta » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:09 am

Thanks. I have one just like it, too... except that instead of being attached to the board, it clamps on with a thumbscrew. I use it for making ham salad ;)

It's all part of a project to really upgrade the meshes used for the various tools. For example, the crafting kit no longer looks like a big burlap sack, but more like a leather doctor's bag. There's a new metalworking kit which is a small case with a number of drawers to hold various tools. Also, I just finished with the masonry kit, which looks like a canvas roll of tools, include a trowel, several chisels, and a stoneworker's hammer. They look like this:
new kits.jpg

Also, the woodworking toolkit is scaled to a more appropriate size and the fletching kit's odd texture UV has been straightened out. I'm probably not going to upgrade EVERY toolkit, but some looked really bad and needed a makeover. In any case, a toolkit for cooking was long overdue, since not all MC food is actually cooked, and several of the old recipes (and a few of the new ones as well) really needed a way to get into a cooking menu that doesn't involve using a fire. The cuttingboard seemed an obvious choice, and after Denina mentioned the grinder, I thought I should just make a kitchen gadget that covered both possibilities (particularly since that kind of grinder needs to be attached to a board or a countertop in order to be used anyway).
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Drakkmore » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:48 am

That is some awesome stuff.
Who is your Modeler? They're good.
Drakkmore

Next

Return to MC Development