Please excuse our dust...

For comments/suggestions regarding the site or forum boards themselves.

Re: Please excuse our dust...

Postby Leonardo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Denina wrote:Why did he need to disable it?

It got broken during an upgrade IIRC and that's not the only thing that got broken also the forum gallery is still broken.
Leonardo

Postby Spirithawke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 am

The current thread title character limit looks to be about 60 characters. I was wondering if it could be a bit more like say 100?

When nothing is certain, anything is possible

Phenom II X4 965 3400Mhz quad core, dual Radeon HD 5800s with 1024MB GDDR5 Ram, 16GB Ram, dual Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 led monitors, Win 7 Pro 64bit
Great House Fliggerty, My Mods on GHF Downloads
Morrowind Modding History
Using Tes3cmd to clean plugins the easy way.
Spirithawke

Postby Toccatta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am

Spirithawke wrote:The current thread title character limit looks to be about 60 characters. I was wondering if it could be a bit more like say 100?

Done.

[edit] Oops. This isn't as simple as it first appeared. You can now enter 100 characters, but apparently the characters after the first 60 are ignored. This is going to take a little more research, but I'll try to make it happen as soon as I can.

[edit2] Okay, the title doesn't get cut off after 60 any more, but It's still kind of rough. Topics don't word-wrap, so since they have a larger text size, they can run into the member profile if they're too long. I'll see if I can reduce the text size a little.

[edit3] This is a lot harder than I thought. The topic title appears in several locations in various sizes. The problem is that the HTML code for headers has only a few variations in size, and the longer the topic is, the more magnified the difference in those few sizes becomes. For short topics, the difference isn't that much... but when the topic is 100 characters long, even a small change in the character size results in a major change in the topic width. It looks like it was originally limited to 60 characters to avoid formatting issues, and I'm having difficulty getting around those. If I set up the formatting to accommodate the rare extremely long topic, then the much more common shorter topics look tiny. I'm gonna have to discuss this with Denina and see where we want to go from here. Having the ability to have really long topics isn't as attractive as it once was when I had no idea the problems it would cause.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Toccatta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Well, it seems that my topic title I was using to test the change was poorly chosen and was causing the word-wrapping issue. The problem has been corrected and the topic limit is now officially 100 characters. Enjoy.

[edit] Technically, it's 96 characters. You can use the full 100 characters for the thread title. However, when someone replies, their post adds "Re: " which makes the title 4 characters longer and lops off the last 4. It only happens within the body of the thread, though, not on the board thread list.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Spirithawke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks Much Tocatta :D (I only needed like 2 more chars for what I was trying to do, but figured it be better to ask for a bit more for the future just in case :D That way hopefully you never end up needing to fiddle with it again)

When nothing is certain, anything is possible

Phenom II X4 965 3400Mhz quad core, dual Radeon HD 5800s with 1024MB GDDR5 Ram, 16GB Ram, dual Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 led monitors, Win 7 Pro 64bit
Great House Fliggerty, My Mods on GHF Downloads
Morrowind Modding History
Using Tes3cmd to clean plugins the easy way.
Spirithawke

Postby Toccatta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Glad I could help. Denina mentioned that a longer title is also very useful in the stories and poetry section. If an author wants to have a separate thread entitled "Der Werwolf Von Duetschland (Story Of a Nazi Killin' Werewolf) - Discussion thread", those extra spaces are necessary.

And in case you're wondering... yes, there was a story on the Morrowind Summit stories board with that name. :shock:
derwerwolf.gif
derwerwolf.gif (3.92 KiB) Viewed 19888 times
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Leonardo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm

While you're at it Toccata. Could you also change the text colour from dark blue (only blue text colour with black background colour and not in forum threads/posts) to something like this.

text
Code: Select all
colour - FFFF40

Sometimes I find it hard to read the dark blue text colour especially when I'm tired.
Leonardo

Postby Toccatta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 pm

No, unfortunately I cannot. There are three places to change text color that I've found. One for normal text on the beige backgrounds, one for normal text on the black backgrounds and one for links on both the beige and the black. In order to have green on black, I'd have to change both the background text and the links, and since the links would then be green on the beige, I'd have to change the text on the beige as well. There's no way to split out the links on the beige from the links on the black without rewriting the theme... something which I'm neither willing, nor in honesty, knowledgeable enough to do.

I adjusted the blue text on the black background earlier today at Denina's request to make it more readable. Give it a while and see if the brighter color is easier to see when you're tired.
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Crankgorilla » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 am

Good to see familiar faces, especially you Tocatta who provided me helpful advice at the very beginning of my modding career. Just tonight Drakkmore and I were discussing the excellent colour choice and familiar layout.

Congratulations on finding a new home since the Planet Elder Scrolls days. Nice to be back.
Crankgorilla

Postby Leonardo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 am

Toccatta wrote:No, unfortunately I cannot. There are three places to change text color that I've found. One for normal text on the beige backgrounds, one for normal text on the black backgrounds and one for links on both the beige and the black. In order to have green on black, I'd have to change both the background text and the links, and since the links would then be green on the beige, I'd have to change the text on the beige as well. There's no way to split out the links on the beige from the links on the black without rewriting the theme... something which I'm neither willing, nor in honesty, knowledgeable enough to do.

I adjusted the blue text on the black background earlier today at Denina's request to make it more readable. Give it a while and see if the brighter color is easier to see when you're tired.

I see and that's okay with me. I find the lighter blue a little easier to read, so that will due for the time being. Thanks for trying Toccata. :D

I wonder why you guys haven't got a favicon on the server to show up in your browser, so I took the liberty and create one for you (size 64x64) to use for Fort Elder Scrolls forum.

Just upload it to the server and place it where the config.php is in the root (dot or / for root) directory and there is a favicon mod to make it a little easier. ;)
Attachments
fort-elderscrolls_favicon.rar
(21.59 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Leonardo

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback