[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Fort Elder Scrolls • View topic - Morrowind Crafting Version 2.1 by Toccatta and Drac

Morrowind Crafting Version 2.1 by Toccatta and Drac

Morrowind Crafting Version 2.1 by Toccatta and Drac

Postby Denina » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:44 am

Original Post Date: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:36 am

Mod description copied from Planet Elder Scrolls.

Morrowind Crafting 2.1

Morrowind Crafting is an RP mod which attempts to improve the role-playing experience of Morrowind without unbalancing it. The various "skills" added by Morrowind Crafting allow the player to create over 1230 different items. The skill advancement formulas and training system are designed so that advancement of crafting skills blends in seamlessly with Morrowind's standard skills. In order to make your character a more "well-rounded" person, MC adds the following skills and abilities:

1) Woodworking: crafting of furniture and other wooden items.
2) Basketweaving: including baskets and wicker hampers
3) Glass Blowing: Creating glass bottles, plates, jugs, and limeware
4) Candle making: Create candles in seven styles and eight colors.
5) Jewelry craft: Craft rings, including five new "elegant" rings between expensive and extravagant as well as new exquisite rings.
6) Weaving: Create cloth, rugs, and tapestries (5 qualities with 10 designs each)
7) Pottery: Create clay items and urns as well as liquor jugs for brewery.
8) Craft equipment: Make hammers, picks, probes, and alchemy apparatus of various qualities
9) Sewing: Sew clothing and other items from cloth, furs, and skins.
10) Poison Making: Brew any of eight poisons and apply them to arrows, bolts, darts, stars, throwing knives, and hand bombs (grenades)
11) Fletching: Create arrows, bolts and darts of various types.
12) Mining: Mine crystals and rocks for iron ore, silver ore, raw glass, raw ebony, diamonds, and raw adamantium. The higher your skill, the more you collect.
13) Cooking: Cook foods from the simple "kagouti chop" to the complex "Kagarine". Foods are compatible with Necessities of Morrowind and Primary Needs and provide very minor health and fatigue benefits if neither mod is active.
14) Brewing: Brew flin, cyrodiilic brandy, sujamma, mazte, greef, and shein in oak kegstands
15) Smithing: Create arms and armor of 21 different varieties including 7 Chitin, bonemold, and fur armors, 7 iron based armors, and 7 exotic armors. A special quest is required to make the component needed to forge daedric armor and weapons.
16) Miscellaneous tasks: Collect sand and clay from various underwater locations on the island. Smelt ore into ingots. Melt down scrap metal and silver dinnerware for materials. Spin raw fiber into thread. Set up camping and cooking fires.
17) Sell crafted projects to several purchasing agents located throughout Vvardenfell and Mournhold
18) Train crafting skills with various trainers located about the island including 5 "secret" master crafting trainers.

Version 2.0 has an upgraded menuing system which is designed to facilitate repeated crafting without the need to continually reselect the previous item.

Note that Morrowind Crafting 2.0 is NOT an upgrade but a mod replacement. It is not intended to be used in conjunction with a prior version, however it is fully compatible with house mods designed to work with earlier versions.

New skills (Mining and Smithing) added; over 1200 items can be made; new kits, new menuing system, improvements far too numerous to list.

V2.1
• Changed sand bars, clay banks, ore rocks, and crystals to indicate current status.
• Changed smelting to include a "bulk smelting" mode.
• Changed smelting to limit the amount of smithing skill that could be acquired by smelting iron and silver ore.
• Removed unnecessary clay object IDs left over from Version 1.0
• Included ring textures accidentally omitted from V2.0
• Adjusted some incorrectly set enchantment values on custom crafted rings.
• Changed smithing skill so that any project which requires spools of thread returns empty spools.
• Fixed a bug which could occur when smithing royal guard armor with exactly one daedra heart in inventory.
• Fixed a bug which could occur when fusing daedric ebony with exactly one raw ebony in inventory.
• Fixed a bug which could result in invalid training rewards when mining immediately following crafting specialized equipment.
• Fixed a bug which could cause crafting trainers to train the wrong skills.
• Updated the readme to include more specific information on how the various kits are used.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Re: Morrowind Crafting Version 2.1

Postby Denina » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 am

Originally Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:39 am

Morrowind Crafting, version 2.1
By: Toccatta and Drac

I have played this mod since it was in beta as a beta tester and it has been in my games ever since so this review is based off of long-standing use and not a one-time test.

Concept: Superb – increasing the role playing aspect of a role playing game is always welcome.

Lore Accuracy: Excellent, on the borderline of superb – Opinions may vary on this but I have yet to find an aspect of this mod that goes against anything established by Bethesda. The new items you can create that were not already in the game, such as the food items, sound like they could really have always been in the Morrowind world and the few sly references to real world foods also do not sound like they would be out of the realm of Morrowind reality.

I found only one item that I thought was questionable. The Dunmer are a humorless people so I think it sounded inappropriate when asking about little secrets that a Dunmer would make a joke about fetcher's fetcher. I thought a new dialog topic should have been made for Dunmer regarding fletchers, minus the joke. It's a subtle thing, not something one would think of, but as much research as I do for stories, this occurred to me, though admittedly, it took a while. I could picture a Dunmer with high speechcraft making a crack like that, someone like a rogue or thief, who tend to see life a little less somberly than most Dunmer, but otherwise, the joke is out of place for most Dunmer. An easy oversight to make that always makes me smile anyway whenever it pops up.

Design: Superb – Toccatta and Drac have attempted to integrate crafting skills into a complex base game skill system designed to blend in with the game as seamlessly as the game engine allows. Anyone who knows anything about the construction set will attest to its orneriness in that respect. This mod is multi-tiered, and thus the planning for it alone must have been monumental; let alone its execution. The skills are designed to work together so that items you need for one skill can be made with another in most cases. Due to limitations of the game engine, some things are not as seamless as others. The various crafting skills will not show up in the skill list on your character sheet as that aspect is hard-coded into the game and does not allow for additions so you have to equip a toolkit to see your skill level if you don't remember it. Another is training. You have to leave the chat box in order to get the list of skills you can train in but is set up like the base game skill training in every other respect. The effort that was put in to this in order to make it blend in with the game down to the advancement of skills is really not only a design achievement but a technical one as well.

The design of using various toolkits to make items prevents the game engine from getting bogged down with continuously running scripts. The scripts will only run when they're called upon and this makes this otherwise huge and complex mod run with nary any hit to frame rate. The additional NPCs added are scattered and also do not add any frame rate hit.

Attention to Detail: Superb. There are a lot of small things about this mod that will pop up to remind you just how well-thought out this mod really is. I don't wish to spoil them here as the joy in noting these is on an individual basis but given the fact that so many things blend together crafting-wise makes it obvious as you get into it.

Also, another thing that should be noted is the excellent quality of the text files included in the download. The Read Me is well-written, detailed and helps the player to get started. The accompanied strategy guide outlining the details of the mod in depth help the player to get the most out of the mod.

Technical Achievement: Superb. And yes, the bold print is deliberate. When I think of the relatively short time it took Toccatta and Drac to put this mod together with the extreme technicalities that were needed in order to make such long and complex scripting to work and play nice together, I am simply in awe. The scripts even have a built in error detection system that is self-correcting. Few mods, if any, can boast this feature. It says much about the depth of knowledge and understanding of Morrowind's scripting functions the mod authors have and how much they have stretched what was previously thought capable by the modding community as a whole. I have yet to find a mod that is as technically complex and so relatively flawless as this one.

Additional Comments:

While doing research in the construction set to write this review, specifically for the joke comment as stated above, I noticed some dialog responses that I have never seen in game despite having played this mod since it was in beta. Looking through the Random100 variables in the dialog, I think some of them were set a little too low as I have never seen them. Finding them was a surprise and I was a little disappointed that I've never seen them in game. Maybe setting those variables higher will offer a little more variety in the references to crafting in game.

This is a mod I do not play without whether my character-of-the-moment is into crafting or not. For me, this mod is a must-have and any other mod I add to my game must be compatible with it. If it isn't, I will either load the other mod in the construction set and make changes in order to make it compatible or if that is not realistic, it just doesn't get added. When I look at the number of downloads this mod has seen, I think it would be wise that modders intending to add more to the game, take Morrowind Crafting into consideration to ensure compatibility as much as possible since for many role players, this mod would be essential.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Return to Morrowind Mod Reviews