[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Fort Elder Scrolls • View topic - Possible real time mining integration

Possible real time mining integration

Discussions regarding the development of Morrowind Crafting 3.0 (Tamriel Rebuilt edition)

Possible real time mining integration

Postby abot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:25 pm

abot

Re: Possible real time mining integration

Postby Denina » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Ok, maybe I'm just being dense but I don't really understand this. I always thought the mining was done in real time so how does this differ from mining in MC as is? I'm a little confused. Sorry.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Postby Toccatta » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Real-time mining in this case refers to the player actually equipping his pick-axe and swinging it at the ore rock. Essentially, it's the same as clicking the "mine this rock" button except that it's more interactive.

Also, as the button appears in menu-mode, which causes most scripts to pause and time to stop passing, swinging the pick really does act in "real time" where clicking the mining button occurs in a paused state. Apart from the interactive aspect, it would make a big difference for people using a fortify spell to either boost their luck or fatigue while mining, as the spell would fall off much more quickly. The stop-time aspect of the menu tends to extend the effect of those spells (although not indefinitely, as there is already a built-in gap between messageboxes which allows time to pass... just not "real time").
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Denina » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Okay, now I follow you. Thanks for the explanation.

Abot, when you use your script does it cause any lag or the game to get bogged down? I glanced through your script and it looks pretty intensive. I just wondered how the game functions when it's running, especially if there is a lot of ore in a cell.
Denina
Queen of Sarcasm

Postby abot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 pm

abot

Postby abot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:42 pm

abot

Postby Toccatta » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 pm

The old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost."
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby abot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm

abot

Postby Toccatta » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Emulating possible exploits isn't a priority except in that I'm trying to ensure the pseudo-skills function as closely to real skills as possible. Some skills work in real-time while others do not. For example, alchemy and armor repair don't work in real-time, as you can make hundreds of potions or repair an entire load of damaged armor in seconds. Combat skills, on the other hand, are by definition in real-time. So I'm satisfied handling it either way. I was merely pointing out a distinction in response to Denina's question, "how does this differ from mining in MC as is?" And then clarifying what I saw as a misunderstanding when you seemed to think my comment about luck referred to successfully hitting the rock with the pick.

Isolating the skillcheck code wouldn't work because the script uses a while-loop to calculate all the attempts from the "fast mine" option in a single frame. It cannot wait for the normal multi-script handshaking associated with the standard mining. It's the reason why the skillcheck subroutine code was moved INTO the script in the first place.
- Bilbo Baggins
Toccatta
The Untitled

Postby Huskobar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Whether mining (or chopping) occurs in real time is largely atmospheric, the way I see it. Time passage in real time can prevent minor exploits, sure, while manipulation of 'gamehour' can lend diversity to time passage; e.g. perhaps it takes longer to mine ebony than iron. (Likewise in Woodworking, it would take longer to make a wine rack than a wooden bowl).
Exploits can come in many forms. Whether from increased Attack or increased Strength I don't know, but I find I can get about 20% more ore by wearing the constant-effect Talisman of the Cold Warrior from Wizard's Islands. By far and away, however, the greatest determinant of quantity obtained is Mining/Chopping skill. Once above the difficulty threshold, skill progression is rapid enough to satisfy most ore demands.
Furthermore, how resources are used has a large bearing on how much is sought; e.g. using 15 iron ingots to make a nordic axe which boosts your Smithing skill by one step (and is of dubious value usage wise and septim wise) vs using those ingots to make several iron throwing knives which will boost your Smithing skill by several steps (and might be of more practical use).
Huskobar

Return to MC Development